Orthodontics was designed to straighten the appearance and function of a misaligned bite. Orthodontics can help your smile by:
– straightening crowded teeth so they are positioned evenly.
– bringing together gapped teeth so they are placed directly next to one another.
– adjusting the position of your top and bottom arches so they congregate evenly.
– diminishing your probability of dental damage or decay, as straighter teeth provide fewer hiding places for bacteria, are easier to clean, and are less likely to be cracked and chipped.
– increasing the beauty of your smile and in some cases the shape of the face.
– maintaining the health of your jaw and lowering the risk of jaw disorders such as TMD or bruxism.
– treating other disorders such as a cleft lip and palate or mild sleep apnea.
Orthodontic treatment can usually start around the age of 12. This usually involves braces, which are stainless steel spacers attached to your teeth and connected by an archwire. Every six to eight weeks, you’ll visit your orthodontist, Dr. Dwayne Patritto for a cleaning and adjustment. Each adjustment will apply gradual force to your teeth, shifting them into ideal alignment over time.
With all the advantages, it’s clear to see why you might want to upgrade your smile. If you or a member of your family would like orthodontic treatment, you can phone Patritto Orthodontics in Ottumwa, Iowa, at 641-682-8143 for a personal consultation.